Member Log In
Nepal Tourism News
Posted by: ANI | Date: December 27, 2011
Ngozumpa glacier in Nepal is melting away at a rapid pace and retreating at its edges because of global warming.
The Nepalese Himalayas have been warming considerably more than the global mean temperature in recent decades.
Glaciers in most of the region are showing signs of shrinking, thinning, and retreating, which is giving way to a lot of melt water.
On Ngozumpa, some of this water is seen to pool on the surface and then drain away via a series of streams and caverns to the snout of the glacier, the BBC reported.
There, around 25km from the mountain, a colossal lake is growing behind a heap of dumped rock fragments.
This lake, called Spillway, is likely to be about 6km long, 1km wide and 100m deep.
The concern is that this huge mass of water could ultimately infringe the debris dam and hurtle down the valley, sweeping away the Sherpa villages in its path.
According to the scientists, although the threat is not immediate, but it is a situation that requires monitoring.
One of the researchers at work on Ngozumpa is Ulyana Horodyskyj, from the Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) at the University of Colorado in Boulder, US.
In of the incidences, her cameras captured a supraglacial lake losing more than 100,000 cubic metres of water in just two days. Within five days, the lake had recovered half the volume, fed by waters from higher up the glacier.
"Say I came the week before and the week after a lake drained - it would seem like nothing had happened because the lake level would appear to be the same," Horodyskyj said.
"But my timelapse photography tells me that something has happened - 40 Olympic-size swimming pools just got sent down the glacier," she added.
- Manang Mustang Avalanche New Updates | October 19, 2014
- More Than 177 Rescued So Far [Updated] | October 17, 2014
- Rescue Team Estimates a Number of More Than 30 Dead Victims (updated) | October 16, 2014
- Avalanche Kills Trekkers in Mustang [Updated] | October 16, 2014
- Avalanche Kills 16 in Mustang Alone | October 15, 2014
- Tourism Develops Around Annapurna Circuit | October 15, 2014
- French tourist missing in Budhi Gandaki river | October 14, 2014
- NAC Brings increment in Nepal – Malaysia Flight | October 14, 2014
- Bringing the Y12E Aircraft to Nepal has remained unsettled | October 13, 2014
- 26 FOREIGN TOURISTS MISSING OVER THE PAST TWO YEARS | October 09, 2014
- A Japanese Climber Made His Last Attempt, Following Death | September 29, 2014
- World Tourism Day, 2014 | September 25, 2014
- Inauguration of Online VISA System in Nepal | September 21, 2014
- World's Highest National Park Now Inaugurated in Tibet | September 19, 2014
- 8 Airports in Far - Western Nepal Immobilized | September 18, 2014
- Over 60% Hotels in Ktm Vulnerable to Earthquake | September 15, 2014
- Dashain Brings Unanticipated Changes in Flight | September 14, 2014
- Sirubari – a Renowned Tourism Destination | September 12, 2014
- Prey for Tigers Increases across the Country | September 11, 2014
- Home Stay in Okharkot | September 11, 2014
Mountain Expedition in Nepal & Tibet with best mountaineering agency. Adventure Third Pole Treks - Trekking, Tours, Climbing Holidays Operator
Book cheap Kathmandu - Pokhara flight ticket with us, get special price on flight ticket booking
Budget & Luxury trekking adventure in Nepal, Tibet & Bhutan with NepalHimalayaTrek.com